Friday, November 30, 2007

Amazon.com: Now for Your Household Uranium Needs

It's hard to describe this without breaking into laughter. And it's not just because Amazon.com is selling U-238. Oh no, that's just the start of it.

This product is uranium ore. Yep, that's what it is. No, I'm not kidding. The product is described thusly:
Radioactive sample of uranium ore. Useful for testing Geiger Counters. License exempt. Uranium ore sample sizes vary. Shipped in labeled metal container as shown. Shipping Information: We are always in compliance with Section 13 from part 40 of the NRC Nuclear Regulatory Commission rules and regulations and Postal Service regulations specified in 49 CFR 173.421 for activity limits of low level radioactive materials.
Even more hilarious is the section of the page that lists "Customers Who Bought Items Like This Also Bought:" ... take a look at the image (click to enlarge). It needs no description.

Yep, I always associate those items with uranium ore.

And that's not all. It's a highly rated product, with 4 out of 5 stars and 26 reviews, including:
  • I have to admit, I've tried many different power sources for my orbiting satellite death beam, and nothing does it like good old U-238.

  • This is the best strawberry jam I've ever tasted. It works well with toast AND English muffins.

  • My son wanted Play Doh for his birthday but unfortunately Toys 'R' Us was sold out of it. I figured this would be the next best thing.
The following, however, were rather negative, so take care when ordering this product:
  • I bought a can of this about 4.5 billion years ago, give or take a few million years, but when I went to use it today I noticed only half of it was still in the can. I swear I put the lid on tight. I'd give it more stars if it came in a better package.

  • This product was not properly labeled as unsafe for children!

  • Is too expensive and too small for building even small nuclear device much less power global death beam.
Unfortunately the product is not eligible for Amazon Prime or for with free shipping over $25.

No comments: